Choose Your Own Adventure!
Woods and Wetlands for Everyone!
Parents, guardians, group leaders, and teachers may personalize their experience to meet each group’s specific needs! We never know for certain what nature has in store for us on any given day, so I like to remain open to spontaneous learning moments!
Woods & Wetlands just for kids: $6/child, 1 hour (min. 5 children, max 1o) 2-hour programs available upon request.
This experience is the “original” Woods and Wetlands adventure, established in 2009. Parents/guardians drop off children with instructor (Tahlia) at a specific location for up to 2 hours of a fun and educational adventure!
Ages 7 and up.
Includes (but not limited to):
- using landmarks for orientation
- identification of plants (including poison ivy, so as to avoid!)
- wildlife identification & signs.
- fun facts about nature.
- play-based learning.
- open, off-trail exploration in view of adult guide.
- optional use of nature exploration tools such as magnifiers, nets, critter-catchers, and the like.
- optional nature journaling or sketching.
Scout troops, classrooms, homeschool groups, or custom groupings that include adult chaperones. (One chaperone or teacher attends free of charge.) Educational focus and location of experience may be determined by group leaders in conjunction with W&W guide.
No age requirements.
- curriculum topic focus (science-based)
- Literacy activities such as nature journaling, field-guide usage, high quality fiction and nonfiction text provided by instructor.
- Guided nature tour of local “wild” spaces.
- safety in nature (poisonous plant i.d., landmark usage, etc.)
- open, off-trail exploration
Parents/guardians who are looking for ways to engage with their children in nature, and would like support and guidance. I can help you learn more about how to get your kiddos outside and make it a fun learning experience! Location choices include local Rockford nature areas, your own private property if appropriate, or Grand Rapids-area nature spaces. (Outside of Rockford, mileage $1/mile driven by instructor.)
- Any and all aforementioned topics, customizable!
Topics & Potential Experiences
Including but not limited to:
- Landmarks for orientation
- Safety in nature
- Plant identification/observation
- Animal identification/observation
- Using a compass
- Tree studies
- Nature journaling/sketching
- Temporary nature art
- Personal connections to nature and self
- Seasonal studies
- Study squares and sit spots
- Collections (where appropriate)
- Native/non-native species
- Safe, appropriate handling (if any) of wild animals such as frogs, toads, salamanders, turtles, snakes)
- Pretend play
- Physical exploration, building strength, balance, and confidence
- Using all of our senses
- Engineering (forts, habitats, imaginative construction)
- Patterns in Nature (spiral, sunburst, meandering, branching, alternation, helix, spherical, close-packing)
- Social/emotional: safe, respectful, responsible, risks, support, trust, cooperation, collaboration, independence, …